Thursday, November 20, 2008

Fragmentation

One visual image that I think about a lot is the image of shattered mirrors, so with this post I am including 3 video elements, two made by me and one by the talented Lucas Carpenter, and I encourage you to watch them in the order I have posted them...

In the media women (and everyone for that matter, but especially women because they are so overtly sexualized) are broken down into their parts, we are focused on a woman's hands, or eyes, or mouth, all of these parts, in addition to only portraying part of a woman (which is a problem in itself), also carry a sexualized weight. Watch the clips, the first two will likely be in the doc and the song from the third will be there so let me know what you think about all of this...
comments are good for something...








1 comment:

Seth said...

Hannah,

In the first clip, I liked how much of the face was visible/invisible in the shards. There was enough to make out that it is a young woman, but it left me with a sense of frustration at wanting to see more of her -- which, I suspect, is the effect you were seeking.

Re: the second clip, the juxtaposition of animation and live action was intriguing. I have no idea how you're planning to use it. Will have to wait.

And, yes, the Lucas Carpenter song is terrific!